Renewable Engineer Training
Able Skills is open 7 days every week – Please feel free to pop in and see what we do.
No Appointment Required * No Sales * No Pressure
As we are open 7 days - Courses can be completed either through the week (Mon-Fri) or at weekends (Sat-Sun) – All Course Times are: 08.30am - 16.30pm
A deposit will secure a course start date and any balance can be paid on the start date or spread over the period of your training – Interest Free!
Please call for details * Email us * Request a free brochure and DVD
Able Skills has their own accommodation available at £20 per night for those of you who are travelling longer distances to train with us.
If you are a qualified Plumber and would like to diversify and offer a broader spectrum of service, Renewable Engineer training could be the next step for you.
With the Government concentrating on their 2020 targets of reduced carbon emissions, there are more and more incentives becoming available for home and business owners. These financial incentives could be just what people are looking for in order to support their decision to install alternative forms of electricity and heat generation.
For Plumbers particularly, the introduction in 2011 of the RHI (Renewable Heat Incentive) will see customers rewarded for generating their own heat using: Solar Thermal panels, Heat Pumps or Biomass.
The financial reward will be determined by an estimate of how much heat the renewable energy systems will produce and a fixed amount is awarded based on the estimate. To qualify for financial incentives such as RHI the installer must be approved by MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) and the microgeneration product must carry the MCS mark.
To be able to provide training for Renewable Engineers in its entirety, Able Skills has a dedicated Renewable Technology Training Centre which is state of the art and packed full of technology to provide training in: Heat Pumps, Solar Thermal, Rainwater and Greywater harvesting, Underfloor Heating, Domestic Ventilation and Woody Biomass and we have put together a package to suit any qualified Plumber who is looking to move up a gear and offer their services as a Renewable Engineer.
In just 3 weeks (15 Days) we can provide you with training and assessment for:
• Renewable Energy Awareness certificate
• Water regulations
• Energy Efficiency
• Vented and Unvented Hot Water Systems needed to undertake training and assessment in
• Solar Thermal and
• Heat Pumps
As a bonus and whilst you are in the Renewables frame of mind, we will also provide training and assessment for
• Rainwater and Greywater Harvesting and
• Underfloor Heating (Installer)
All of the above listed Renewable Technology training courses are Bpec accredited so will provide Nationally recognised certification and a route in to the renewable technologies market.
And to ensure that you are completely ready to market your business and progress towards MCS approval and registration we will also provide a
• MCS Quality System Manual and Workshop
By combining these qualifications into one discounted package, you can save substantially against the separate purchase costs. On successful completion of the above courses you will hold 8 industry recognised qualifications for the Renewable technologies industries.
This package of Renewable Technology qualifications can also be obtained over weekend training periods and can be spread over a longer period of time and delivered in stages; it does not have to be 3 consecutive weeks.
We will also provide you with the relevant Bpec course manuals for each of the separate Bpec qualifications included in this package.
As a qualified Plumber you may already hold 1 or more of the above mentioned certificates. If that is the case, we can adjust the time and price of the package to reflect this; please call to discuss this in more detail.
Bpec Renewable Energy Awareness certificate
The course covers provides an overview of the following technologies:
• Solar Photovoltaic systems
• Solar Thermal systems
• Biomass domestic systems
• Biogass systems
• Micro wind systems
• Micro hydro systems
• Ground source heat pumps
• Air to water heat pumps
• Air to air heat pumps
The aim of the course is to raise awareness and help the delegate identify appropriate renewable technologies.
The course helps the delegate identify:
• Which type of technology bests suites a specific application
• What end uses best suit the technology
• Driving forces for using renewable technologies
• Basic understanding of how technologies work and their working components
• Where grants can be accessed and how this fits with MCS
• Typical installation and running costs
• Realistic pay back periods
• The issues relating to installing green technologies
• Planning and building control issues / requirements
• Co2 savings for each technology
Bpec Water regulations
The course will cover the following areas and will conclude with an assessment to check knowledge and competence:
• Introduction, background and legislation
• The Water Regulations
• Materials and substances in contact with water
• Requirements for water fittings
• Water System Design
• Installation Commissioning
• Cross Connections
• Black flow prevention
• Cold Water Services
• Hot Water Services
• WCs and Urinals
• Sanitary Appliances and water for outside use
Bpec Energy Efficiency
The course modules cover:
• Course aims and objectives
• Energy efficiency cosiderations
• The environment
• Customer benefits
• Boiler efficiency
• SEDBUK ratings
• CHESS best practice
• Combination boiler
• Radiator sizing
• Boiler sizing
• Weather compensation
• Commissioning systems
This is a nationally recognised qualification and a certificate of competence will be issued on successful completion of the 30 question multiple choice assessment at the end of the course.
Bpec Solar Thermal
This BPEC accredited course is delivered in Able Skills Renewable Technologies Centre using our drain back and pressurised systems. The rigs are fitted to a full roof which allows the delegate to get hands on experience with realistic installation conditions.
• Introduction to Domestic Solar Hot Water Thermal systems
• Types of Solar Collector
• Background to solar thermal and the market
• Hot Water Storage and Installation
• Site surveying & preparing to install systems
• Fitting collectors on different applications
• Plumbing layout and design
• Control and Power Requirements
• Commissioning and fault finding
• MCS Grants and funding
• Payback periods for solar thermal installations
• Managing the customer
• Practical Installation of panels
The course is a nice balance between presentation delivery and hands on practical tasks, such as fitting the panel and commissioning the system, filling and flushing. There is an assessment on the final day to ensure competence.
Bpec Heat Pumps
Heat Pumps course modules cover:
• Environmental issues, background and advances in GSHP & ASHP
• Main types of GSHP/ASHP systems
• Site surveying and identification
• System Design
• Heat loss calculations for heat pumps
• Installation methods
• Commission systems
• Fault finding and rectification
• Servicing requirements for GSHP/ASHP systems
• Legislation around refrigerant handling
At Able Skills Renewable Technologies Centre we have a large array of heat pumps which we can utilise for various exercises and fault finding tasks. We also have exploded views of actual heat pumps to aid identification of key components and therefore identification of the relevant circuits such as:
• Refrigerant circuit
• Heat distribution
• Collector circuit
All of our pumps are working units and have programmable controls to replicate a complete installation. Through our unique Christianni teaching system we can also demonstrate heat pump efficiency gains through pre heating the collector circuit with solar or alternative renewable sources. Please see our mobile renewable training rigs for more details.
Bpec Rainwater and Greywater Harvesting
Each delegate will sit an assessment to demonstrate competency on the second day.
• Rainwater & Greywater harvesting overview
• Legislation surrounding these technologies
• Health & Safety, installation and commissioning
• Rainwater Harvesting calculations and sizing
• Systems & Components
• Water Quality Standards and their categories
• Installation & Commissioning procedures
• Maintenance and fault finding
• Resources, external bodies and the code for sustainable homes
Following theory and practical training, candidates who successfully complete the Rainwater and Greywater Harvesting assessment will receive BPEC certificates of competence and will also be able to carry out work in accordance with the scope of this course.
Bpec Underfloor Heating (Installer)
The course is a good balance between theory and knowledge to practical application. Delegates will be required to complete a full under-floor installation including commissioning, this will be carried out in Able Skills Renewable Technology Centre.
The key objectives of the course are:
• Explain the basic principles of underfloor heating (UFH) systems
• State the advantages of UFH systems
• Describe floor systems and finishes
• State the various types of UFH systems available
• Explain the operations of UFH systems
• Describe general installation and testing requirements
• Explain post installation activities for – commissioning, system operation and maintenance, troubleshooting and customer information/use.
MCS Quality System Manual and Workshop
• Presentation on the MCS scheme, policy, process and documentation
• Overview of the technologies covered
• Potential costs involved per technology or package
• Creating the MCS quality manual
• Registration process and documentation
Workshop focusing on individual needs and the generic process used to ensure the MCS registration and approval is successful. The output from this workshop is an individual action plan and a suite of documentation and tools tailored to your needs and business.
Cost and Duration of Renewable Engineer Training
Duration: 15 Days
Able Skills is open 7 days every week and most courses can be completed either through the week (Mon-Fri) or at weekends (Sat-Sun) – Please call for details
A deposit will secure your start date and any balance can be paid on the start date or spread over the period of your training – Interest Free!
For all workshop based training and/or assessment we recommend suitable clothing and for your safety, protective footwear is essential.
Electrical Training courses at Able Skills Dartford Kent
by Able Skills
Reviews Coming Soon
Able Skills has grown and so has the amount of students in attendance and we are being used by everyone right across the UK and abroad.
As a result of the increase in students, Able Skills has purchased 3 properties to accommodate the growing numbers of people travelling from distance.
Able Skills properties are licensed HMO (Houses in Multiple Occupation) and are fully equipped in line with local authority standards.
The properties will provide you with your own fully furnished room with washing facilities and TV. There are several bathrooms/WCs as well as fully fitted kitchens and a dining areas to eat and/or meet your fellow students.
Able Skills employs someone to maintain the properties on a regular basis and also to ensure that the property is being looked after by those staying.
We are very pleased to be able to offer this accommodation at £20 per night and we are keen to ensure that your time away from home is enjoyable and comfortable. The properties are situated close to all of our training centres and some have allocated private parking facilities.
This enables you to leave your vehicle in a safe and secure environment and make that short walk to whichever course you are attending.
We are a very popular choice of training centre and as a result we are very busy and so is our accommodation. We would recommend that you make every attempt to tie in any accommodation requirements at the time of booking your course.
If our accommodation is full, there are other local alternatives available which range from £20 per night upwards.
During your stay at Able Skills accommodation we will guarantee you a secure area to keep all of your belongings and additionally, we guarantee that the only people using this property are Able Skills students.
Should you require any additional information or wish to book training and accommodation, please do not hesitate to contact Gary, Angela or John on 01322 280 202.