Menu
For course advice & bookings call: 0808 100 3245

Electrical Fire Leaves Family Homeless...

electrical fire Echo-News

An electrical fire has left a Southend family homeless after breaking out and reportedly setting the entire first floor alight. This is far from the first incident we've heard of this year and although the topic of electrical fires are in the news on a regular basis, we still seem to keep hearing about such terrible news.

Firefighters arrived at the property last Thursday and gladly helped put the fire out before it began to spread to other houses on the street. Not only do fires ofcourse affect those in the immediate property, but it can cause disaster for neighbours too.

What Caused it?

The fire was simply caused by overloaded electrics. As you read this right now ask yourself if you switched off that charger, that iron or hair dryer this morning before you left for work. Use a multi socket? Please make sure you haven't then got too many additional multi socket plugs connected to the same multi socket. It's a recipe for disaster and although we've heard it 1000 times, it's disasters like these that are usually avoidable.

It's reported that there was so much smoke that the firefighters even had to administer oxygen therapy to one of the residents affected.

A spokesperson on the incident stated:

Electrical appliances, plugs and cables that are old or poorly wired can be a real danger in your home.

There are particular danger signs to look out for on all electrical items you have around your home.

If you think something needs fixing or changing do it straight away

Check the below for some simple Electrical Fire Safety advice:

  • Overloaded sockets. Plugging too many electrical appliances into one socket can lead to overheating.
  • Hot plugs or sockets, scorch marks, fuses that often blow, or flickering light are all signs of loose wiring or other electrical problems.
  • electrical courses Able Skills Electrical Courses and Electrician Training Are Both City & Guilds Accredited

    Only use one adaptor per socket. Don’t plug one adaptor into another and try to keep to one plug per socket

  • Check the manual or look for a sticker on the appliance to find out its wattage and then use the correct fuse.

You don't have to have undergone any Electrician Training or any other Electrical Courses to know to take extra care when it comes to electrical fires. Although it's nothing new, sadly people only woke up to just how important electrical fire safety is after the tragic events of Grenfell Tower.

If you want to keep on top of some of the latest news within the electrical industry or any relevant news regarding one of our Electrical Courses or Electrician Training, please check back here!