For course advice & bookings call: 0808 100 3245

CSCS Cards for Carpenters

Awarding Body

Details of CSCS cards available for Carpenters


Changes to CSCS cards will affect many site workers. If you need guidance on how to renew your CSCS card or obtain the right CSCS card for your trade – this page will answer the questions you may have.

  • Course Details
  • FAQs

CSCS Cards for Carpenters

If you are a time served Carpenter and have been working on site, you may currently be working with a CSCS Green Card – Construction Site Operative.

From 1st July 2014 the green Construction Site Operative (CSO) card will no longer be issued.  There will be a new green CSCS card only available for people working in labouring occupations.

If you work in a labouring occupation you can apply for the new green labourer card but you will need to provide evidence that you have achieved a level 1 award in Health and Safety. You must also pass the CITB Operatives Health, Safety and Environment test within two years of applying for a new card.

If you are working in a labouring occupation, Able Skills are able to provide you with the mandatory training course to achieve the new level 1 award in Health and Safety – we offer the Health and Safety in a Construction Environment – C&G 6072

The reason for these changes is because until now, many site workers who are carrying out skilled occupations have been applying for the green CSO card as the easiest route to gain access to construction sites.  This makes it difficult for contractors to use CSCS cards as a reliable method of checking that site workers have the appropriate skills to work on construction sites safely and effectively.

Working as a Carpenter?

If you work as a Carpenter and would prefer to have a CSCS card which reflects your trade then you need to show that you have achieved NVQ or are working towards achieving NVQ – This can be much more straight forward than you previously imagined.

Time Served Carpenter – Over 5 Years

If you are a time-served Carpenter over 5 years there is a fast-track route to achieving NVQ. This is a route for Experienced Workers: EWPA.  This option will generate a Red Experienced Worker CSCS card or a Blue Skilled Worker CSCS card – dependent upon the length of time you take to achieve it. This route to NVQ can be achieved in as little as 2 days.

Time Served Carpenter – Under 5 Years

If you have been undertaking regular carpentry work but for less than 5 years then you are likely to be an ideal candidate for work-based assessments - OSAT. This route will generate A Red Experienced Worker CSCS card which will be valid for 1 year during which time you will be expected to have been assessed to achieve your NVQ. Once the NVQ is achieved, you will be eligible for a Blue Skilled Worker CSCS card which will be valid for 5 years.

If you opt to work towards achieving NVQ then you will not be required to undertake the level 1 award in Health and Safety

Card Types based on above information

Construction Operative (CSO) 


Please note that the CSO green cards will no longer be available from July 1st 2014.



You can apply for this card if you have either:

Passed the Level One Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment or hold a valid Site Safety Plus Health and Safety Awareness Course certificate.

Experienced Worker 


This card is available to workers with on the job experience (normally at least one year in the last three).The card is valid for one year and is non-renewable.  It is issued on a temporary basis, while a NVQ or SVQ is being achieved. It is expected to be replaced by a skilled five year card on achievement of NVQ or SVQ Level 2 or higher.

An Experienced Worker Card cannot be replaced by a Construction Site Operative or a Basic Skills Green Card.

Skilled Worker



This card is available if you have either:

  • Achieved an NVQ or SVQ level 2 or
  • Completed an employer sponsored apprenticeship which included the achievement of a City and Guilds of London Institute Craft Certificate.

This card is valid for five years.

If you do not have these qualifications, but you are experienced in your job you may apply for an Experienced Worker Card

Call Us Now: 0808 100 3245

Product Questions

my name is dragos, i'm from romania

i work in uk as carpenter 18 months and i need a cscs card, i don't know what card i need.
you can help me?
Back to all courses