- Course Details
What You’ll Learn
This course is ideally suited for those of you who want to achieve a basic understanding of domestic electrics and to understand what you can and cannot do within a domestic dwelling.
C&G 4555: 10 Days (2 weeks)
The course is a mix of workshop and theory and over the 10 days will give you the practical ability and confidence in the following areas of domestic electrical installation:
- The definition of electric shock
- Ohms Law & Power Triangles
- Identification of earthing systems
- An introduction to legislation surrounding electrical installation in dwellings
- Understanding breaker and cable selection
- Installation of earthing and bonding, Ring circuits, Radial circuits, Cooker circuits, various lighting circuits.
- Completion of installation certificate
- Understanding basic inspection and testing:
- Continuity of protective conductors
- Continuity of protective conductors radial circuits
- Continuity of protective conductors ring final circuits
- Insulation resistance
- Safe isolation
- Adding additional outlets to a circuit
- Completion of a minor works certificate
We will also build on your knowledge further and work towards strengthening your understanding of an electrical installation and any implications the installation may have with regards to the Building Regulations. Additional to the above listed; you will also cover the practical application of electrical installation in bathrooms, showers and garden areas. The training therefore also covers the following aspects:
- Applicable Building Regulations
- Electrical safety, legislation, regulations, standards & terminology.
- Installation of a garden security light incorporating SWA
- Inspecting, testing and commissioning a domestic single phase circuit.
- Special locations and installations
- Pre-work survey inspection
- Basic understanding of 3 phase
How You’ll Learn
This 10 day course is a real mix of practical and theory sessions. The practical aspects give you the opportunity to work in areas building various circuits, the theory sessions ensure that you understand why you are building these circuits and how to ensure safety.
Courses Open To You After
If you would like to gain full competence in this area of work then you may wish to consider our full Domestic Electrical Course for Beginners – this course is an expanded version of this 10 day course and will give you much more opportunity with regards to extending the scope of electrical work that you can undertake.
We will provide you with an induction folder which is packed with all the information you will require to safely undertake electrical work and will come in handy if you decide to move forward either in a career as a Domestic Installer or if you choose to do other courses with us at a later date, to a career as an Electrician.
This Able Skills course has been recognised by City & Guilds as a comprehensive introduction to basic domestic electrics and as such, a C&G 4555 certificate will be issued after the course is completed.
Books: We recommend that you have copies of:
- IET Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations – 3rd Edition
Duration & Cost
This is a 10 day course. The cost is £790 including VAT. A deposit of £300 will secure a booking and the balance can be paid over 2 instalments from the start of the course
This course is also available at weekends – please call to enquire
Availability: In stock