- Course Details
Which Category Are You?
Category 1 Candidates – Experienced Gas Engineers
Category 1 candidates are experienced gas fitters with existing gas knowledge and skills. These are operatives looking to renew certificates which have expired or are due to expire. Additionally, Category 1 candidates are also those of you looking to add appliances and expand your scope of work.
In order to qualify for Re-assessment of CCN1 or an appliance, ACS certificates must be no more than 6 months from expiry or should have expired within the previous 12 months otherwise your assessment category will be deemed to be Initial where there is a slight difference in the exams and price.
Candidates may only re-assess on appliances they currently hold under the ACS scheme so if you are looking to add an appliance then this will be deemed to be an Initial assessment and training for this is recommended and you should allow for this when calculating potential costs.
Training for candidates requiring re-assessment is not mandatory however, it is essential to stay up to date; legislation has changed and continues to do so. As a result, we have built training/revision into all of the times and prices displayed.
Please visit ACS Reassessment for details of training, revision and assessment packages available for Category 1 candidates at Able Skills.
Category 2 Candidates
In Able Skills experience, it is rare that an individual falls into this category - Category 2 Candidates are those of you who hold nationally recognised, gas trade associated qualifications and who can provide evidence of 'on-the-job' gas installation and/or maintenance gas work, carried out under direct supervision of competent operatives employed by a GAS SAFE registered business. Evidence of this must be provided and an interview may be required.
Examples of appropriate qualifications include:
- Plumbing craft qualification or National/Scottish Vocational Qualification (N/SVQ) (oil and/or solid fuel options) - suitable initially for domestic or commercial central, water heating or pipework installation
- Pipefitter/Welder craft qualification or N/SVQ - suitable initially for commercial pipework, pipework commissioning and meter installation
- Heating and Ventilation craft qualification or N/SVQ - suitable initially for commercial pipework and appliance installation
- Refrigeration engineer/fitter craft qualification or N/SVQ - suitable initially for commercial appliance and pipework installation
- Written evidence from the employer of 'on-the-job' gas installation and/or maintenance gas work, carried out under direct supervision of competent operatives employed by a GAS SAFE registered business, must be provided
Please visit ACS Initial Assessment for details of assessment packages available for Category 2 candidates at Able Skills.
Category 3 Candidates - New Entrants to the Gas Industry
Category 3 candidates are those of you who are brand new to the industry and to help you move into this area, Able Skills operates a 4 week Bpec Foundation Programme which is ideal for those of you seeking to take your first steps into a career in the Gas Industry. In addition, we can provide a portfolio placement and assessments for ACS.
Which aspects of the process to becoming Gas Safe registered you need very much depends on existing skills you may or may not have. These courses are available individually or as packages with discounts applied.
Summary: Gas Training and Assessment
We are aware that every individual Gas Engineer has different requirements and whilst we provide price and time details, these are purely for guidance and we would ask that you contact us with your personal requirements in order for us to calculate an accurate package to suit your needs.
We are open 7 days every week so weekends are available to reduce your time away from work