- Course Details
What You’ll Learn
At Able Skills, you have 7 subjects to choose from:
- Kitchen Fitting
- Painting & Decorating
These subjects can be covered in 5 day training periods (Mon-Fri) or over 2 weekends.
You choose the ones (4 or 5) that you want to do, give us a ring and then we will tell you how much you can expect to pay – we will calculate your discount and advise on your payment options.
How You’ll Learn
- Setting out your tiling work
- Explaining all the different adhesives used for different surfaces
- Demonstrating all the tools required
- Cutting tiles using wet tile cutters, dry tile cutters, tile scribes, tile snips and tile saws
- Explaining tiling involving Borders, Diamonds and Patterns
- How to cut around windows and reveals
- How to cope with tiling difficult areas such as uneven walls
- How to tile angled ceilings and socket areas
- How to tile splash-backs
- How to tile around boxed in pipes
- Selecting the right units for a kitchen, reading manufacturers scale drawing and the planning of a basic kitchen layout
- Marking, Setting out and levelling of units to a datum line
- Assembling and Fixing base and wall units
- Practice scribing then cutting of a 45 90 degree masons mitres using a work top jig and router
- Cutting inserts for sink and hobs in worktops
- Hanging doors and templates for fitting of door furniture
- Marking, cutting and fixing of cornice pelmet and plinth
- You will also cover health and safety along with the requirement for Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE), and the building regulations applicable to kitchen fitting in respect of electrics and water.
- Use hand tools such as chisels, planes etc.
- Cut basic joints
- Cut and fit dado rails, architraves, skirtings and doorstops
- Erect a stud-wall
- Fit a door lining/frame
- Hang a door
- Fit a Lock
- Practical health and safety
- Plumbing systems and fittings
- Soldering techniques
- Jointing, bending and pressure testing copper tube
- Plumbing pipe work
- Copper pipe work skills
- Valves, taps, cisterns, and cylinders
- Plastic Tube installation
- Plumbing systems
- Domestic plumbing systems
- Bathroom installation
- Soil and waste pipes
- Installing Radiators
- Fault Finding
- Set out building lines
- Brick and block work
- Ensure your walls are square and vertical
- Build a corner, a pillar, a pier and a cavity wall.
- Bricklaying bonds eg: English Bond, Flemish Bond and Stretcher Bond
- Pointing for face work
- Put in a damp course
- Put in lintels and windows
- To cut and fix plaster board to walls and ceilings
- To tape standard and internal joints
- To cut and fix angle beads around windows and reveals
- To prepare surfaces before plastering using bonding plaster and finishing plaster, ensuring a flat finished surface ready for decorating
- To mix plastering materials
- To skim walls
- To skim ceilings
- To apply PVA adhesive Unibond to existing surfaces
Painting & Decorating
- Health and Safety, PPE and safe working practices
- Correct use of tools and equipment used in this trade
- Preparation of new and old surfaces ready for painting
- Repairing imperfections in walls and wood ready for painting
- Application of water based products such as primers, undercoats, emulsion and eggshell using brushes and rollers
- Application of oil based products
- Cutting around obstructions, openings, fittings such as radiators, windows, sockets and switches
- How to use a roller effectively
- Cutting, pasting and hanging wallpaper
Courses Open To You After
You may find that there are subjects that you prefer or even excel at and as a result, you may consider studying a particular subject at length with a view to achieving qualifications. Everything within this handyman package (with the exception of the Kitchen Fitting) is available at various qualification levels. Please visit the subject specific pages to find out more.
Our multi skills package is not just for the purpose of obtaining a job, they are also fantastic training courses for those of you looking to cover areas around the house, for DIY purposes. If you have jobs that need doing and you would rather attempt them yourself then come along to our training courses and let us teach you how to do it properly.
Our courses do not have an entry level requirement and no previous experience is required to attend the courses. We firmly believe that there isn’t anything that we can’t teach you within the areas of construction we offer training in.
All of these courses are available with C&G 4555 accreditation so for an extra £50 per subject, you can receive the same training but accompanied by a C&G certificate – please call for details.
Duration & Cost
You can choose 4 or 5 subjects from the topics listed. Please call for a costing of the courses you have chosen.
A £400 or £500 deposit is payable and the balance can be spread over the period of the training.