- Course Details
What You’ll Learn
If you have attended Able Skills 5 day External Wall Insulation New Entrants course and you would like to expand on particular skills further, you may wish to consider this 3 day EWI Boarder course. This course will build and expand on the skills that are covered in the 5 day New Entrant course. We will elaborate on areas relating to:
- Green Deal and the importance of good customer service
- All health & safety issues
- Different boards used within the industry including size and thermal efficiency
- Impact of substrate condition on fixing process
- Fixing processes and patterns/bonds
- Various types of fixing, beads and components
- Tool requirements for cutting and fixing of boards
- Implications of poor workmanship
- Material safe storage procedures
Undertaking this 3 day course will enable you to register for QUA896 - L2 NVQ Certificate in Insulation and Building Treatments (Construction) - External Wall Insulation- Boarder
How You’ll Learn
This course is delivered through practical tasks predominantly but classroom based sessions will be used to cover some of the information within this course.
Courses Open To You After
As advised above, this 3 day course supported by the previous 5 day New Entrant EWI course will put you in a position to register for the NVQ level 2 for External Wall Insulation- Boarder (QUA896). Registering for an NVQ, coupled with sitting a CSCS test will provide you with an Experienced Worker CSCS card which will improve your job prospects, particularly if you are looking to gain access to site work, new builds etc.
To be eligible to attend this course, candidates must have either:
- Attended Able Skills 5 day New Entrant EWI course or
- Hold a construction based NVQ or
- Have experience within the construction sector which has included asbestos awareness, working at heights and use of power tools.
Why is External Wall Insulation Training a Good Idea?
The ECO (Energy Companies Obligation) has been introduced to reduce the UK’s energy consumption and support people living in fuel poverty. It does this by funding energy efficiency improvements worth around £1.3 billion every year. ECO supports the installation of energy efficient measures in low-income households and areas, and in properties that are harder to treat. It works alongside the Green Deal to give consumers support and funding for energy efficiency improvements in their homes.
The Green Deal and the ECO will help reduce carbon emissions from the UK’s domestic building stock, which is an essential part of the UK’s plan to meet its statutory domestic carbon emission reduction targets by 2050. The Cut the Carbon website advises that under the Green Deal, builders could potentially be taking part in the UK’s biggest construction programme since World War Two.
- As many as 3.7 million homes could install insulation or low-carbon measures by 2030
- 14 million of the country’s 27 million homes and 4.5 million businesses could benefit
- More than 161,000 skilled workers will be needed across all construction sectors if the government is to hit carbon reduction targets for 2020.
As you can see from the above, the drive to reduce carbon emissions is at the forefront of the UKs targets but these targets will only be met if there is a work force qualified to do the jobs in question. The Green Deal in particular is specific with regards to the qualifications of Green Deal Installers so the importance here is on gaining the right training and qualifications in order to move on to undertake this kind of work.
If you have an interest in working within an industry that is set to expand to provide work for many for quite a few years to come, Able Skills can get you started and get you qualified.
If you are new to the building industry, you will need to have attended our 5 day New Entrants EWI course before undertaking this advanced ‘Boarder’ option. If you are already working within the construction industry or you hold NVQ at level 2 in a relevant construction trade, you can come straight in and undertake this training option.
Duration & Cost
This is a 3 day course. The total cost is £295 including vat. A £150 deposit will secure a booking and the balance can be paid on the start date.
Availability: In stock