If you want to learn painting & decorating to gain accredited qualifications and achieve a level 2 NVQ, this 7 week training option is ideal. This course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to access the Painting & Decorating industry and give you the opportunity to work towards achieving NVQ level 2. Once you have completed your 7 weeks (35 days) of intensive, hands on Painting & Decorating training, you will then be industry ready which is where you need to be in order to achieve the Painting & Decorating NVQ.
This painting & decorating course can also be completed at weekends.
What You’ll Learn
During the first 5 weeks you will be trained and assessed to achieve the various units which make up the C&G 6219 qualification (please see our City & Guilds Painting & Decorating Course to view all of the units in detail) and in the remaining 2 weeks you will receive training which reflects ‘reality’ and also provides you with a comprehensive understanding of what you will need to do to eventually achieve the NVQ level 2. The Painting & Decorating Units are:
The Full Route to achieve a Level 2 QUA 827 - NVQ Diploma in Decorative Finishing and Industrial Painting Occupations (Construction) - Painter is made up of the following:
- QCF250C: Erecting and Dismantling Access/Working Platforms in the Workplace
- QCF332v2: Preparing surfaces for painting/decorating in the workplace
- QCF333Av3: Applying Paint Systems by Brush and Roller in the Workplace
- QCF641: Conforming to General Health, Safety and Welfare in the Workplace
- QCF642: Conforming to Productive Working Practices in the Workplace
- QCF643: Moving, Handling and Storing Resources in the Workplace
How You’ll Learn
This is a fantastic access to work experience as it prepares and qualifies you for the Painting & Decorating industry. As well as practical training and assessment, we will also ensure you have a full understanding of NVQ portfolio building and evidence gathering. Some examples of what you can expect to receive training in are:
- How to interpret manufacturers' specifications and risk assessments
- Calculating requirements to erect access equipment and working platforms
- Inspecting components and completing reports
- Erecting and working from access equipment and working platforms
- Dismantling and storing components
- How to prepare the following surfaces ready to receive finishing systems:
- Timbers and timber sheet products
- Metal surfaces
- Trowelled finishes
- How to remove previously applied paint and paper ready to receive finishing systems
- To rectify surface conditions, repair and make good surfaces
- How to prepare the work area and protect surrounding areas, furniture and fittings etc
- How to prepare materials for application and apply water-borne and solvent-borne coatings by brush and roller
- Know how to clean, maintain and store brushes and rollers
- Know how to store materials.
Once you have completed the 7 weeks, we have no doubt that your skill level will enable you to find work within the Painting & Decorating industry and immediately start to gather the evidence which will award you your NVQ.
Our training has been developed to help you fully understand how to gather work based evidence, how to enlist the help of an onsite recorder, how to record photographic evidence and so on.
The whole point of this 7 week Painting & Decorating course is to provide you with an underpinning City & Guilds qualification and a very in depth understanding of what is required to gain an NVQ. This combination of training gives you a great opportunity to secure work and achieve additional qualifications.
Courses Open To You After
The next step for you is to be assessed in the work-place to have your progress monitored and recorded in order to be certificated for the NVQ level 2.
NVQs are ‘Declarations of Competence’ and as such, cannot be achieved in a simulated environment like a training centre – all we can do here is prepare you for the process for when you are in the real working environment and we do this very well. At the end of the course, Able Skills will register you as someone who is working towards achieving NVQ level 2 in Painting & Decorating and we will provide you with a startup portfolio which will include all of the evidence and assessment sheets ready for you to use as and when you gather your work based evidence. By registering you for NVQ, you can also gain access to a CSCS Experienced Worker or Trainee card (if you arrange independently to sit a CSCS test) – this will further enhance your access to work.
Site visits will be charged separately - please call for details
This is a hands-on, practical Painting & Decorating course and you will be involved at every stage and will be participating throughout. It is therefore recommended you bring suitable clothing and for your own safety, steel capped footwear is essential.
All of our courses take place at our dedicated training centre in Dartford, Kent. The centre is easily accessible by road, being just 10 minutes from junction 1a on the M25. We are only a short walk from Dartford train station which is served by frequent trains taking 35 minutes from central London. For anyone travelling from further away, we have our own accommodation available at only £25 per night.
We are open 7 days a week (08.30 – 16.30) for visitors so if you would like to find out more about this course or about Able Skills, please feel free to pop in, no appointment necessary.
Duration & Cost
This is a 7 Week (35 day) course and the cost is £2795.00 including vat.
Full Time Option: Following a deposit of £500, 7 weekly instalments of £327.86
Part Time Option (This is 2 weekends per month - total of 13 weekends of attendance): Following a deposit of £500, 7 instalments of £227.86. You will then need to attend for a 9 day block from Saturday through to the final Sunday and the fee for this will be £700.