If you are looking for a change of career and want to be a Tiler then this is an excellent choice of course to undertake. From the very basic to the more difficult aspects of tiling, this programme of learning will see you competent to undertake the most difficult of tiling tasks.
If you are looking to achieve a full City & Guilds certificate then this Six week Professional Certificate in Wall and Floor Tiling is for you. Available exclusively to Able Skills, you will be trained and assessed across a range of tiling practices, building a portfolio of evidence along the way. This is a fantastic course which is accredited by City & Guilds. Completion of this course awards C&G 6219-08 Certificate. This course can also be covered using some weekend training.
What You’ll Learn
Able Skills has devised a Six week professional tiling course which differs from any other Tiling Training Centre in the UK because it has been recognised by City & Guilds and accredited with a 6219-08 Certificate. This course will not only teach you to tile to a very comprehensive level, it will test your tiling knowledge by way of C&G assessments. Able Skills dedicated Tiling Centre has all of the facilities that you will come across once you are working within the Tiling industry.
The course will cover:
Week 1 - Introductory Tiling
This week will teach you tiling basics, starting from scratch you will learn how to tile both wall and floor areas and gain a complete understanding of the requirements for any area you are planning to tile:
- Prime areas to receive tiling
- Setting out your tiling work
- Have a broad understanding of varied adhesives used for different surfaces
- Understanding and ability to use all the tools required
- Cutting tiles using wet tile cutters, dry tile cutters and tile snips
- How to cut around windows and reveals
- How to cope with tiling difficult areas such as uneven walls
- How to tile to angled ceilings and socket areas
- How to tile splash-backs
- How to mix and apply grouts
- How to cut to curved objects.
Week 2 - Advanced Tiling
Week two is an advanced training week, providing you with the skills to tackle more complex areas and giving you the opportunity to build on your speed, technique and confidence. Reinforcing skills acquired from module one you will now be able:
- Plan sequence of work
- Prime areas to receive tiling
- Build speed, confidence and precision
- Install tiles to diamond pattern to wall and floor areas
- Estimate tile quantities required for each individual job
- Use of washboys
- Use of laser lines/levels
Week 3 - Further advanced Tiling/Initial Assessment
This is split in to two parts. The first part is a continuation of the previous module.
Plan and install wall or floor area for brick effect installation
Assessments will be:
- Unit 101: Introduction to Health and Safety
- Unit 004: Tiling a Plain Wall
Week 4 - Natural Stone
This program of learning will teach you how to tile with 4” x 4” Natural Tumbled Marble and 12” x 12” Natural Slate. You will learn how to seal natural stone, understand required adhesives and be aware of how to enhance the stones natural features.
- How to prepare the wall and floor areas to receive natural stone products
- Measure areas to calculate quantities required
- Prepare areas
- Select and grade natural stone products
- How to overcome the uneven thickness of the tile when laying it onto a floor
- Mix appropriate adhesives
- Cutting the stone where necessary
- Ensuring (with your instructors help) that you are working to a domestic and commercial standard of finish whilst also working clean and safe
- Receive a demonstration on how and why you need to seal the products prior to grouting
- Seal the tiled area
- Grout your completed installation
- Clean as necessary prior to applying a necessary 2nd coat of seal
Weeks Five and Six - Tanking & Installation of self-levelling compounds, Assessment, Full room install
Weeks five and six initially takes you briefly away from tiling to concentrate on aspects of preparation. We will cover Waterproofing requirements for Wet rooms etc and Floor levelling systems so that even the most uneven of floors can be prepared to receive tiles.
Floor levelling systems
- Calculating the quantities of materials required
- Gauging and mixing of materials • Preparing background areas
- Installation of self levelling system
Waterproofing / Tanking
We will show you how to apply specified tanking systems to these wet areas (prior to tiling) which will extinguish any doubt and ensure a tiled installation which will not fail.
Assessments will be:
- Unit 115: Cutting and Fixing Decorative Panels
- Unit 116: Cutting and Fixing Tiles to Wet Areas
- Unit 117: Tiling Floors with a Border
By now you will have acquired many new skills. Once assessment requirements are completed in full you will display your new skills and produce a product of work that is both domestically and commercially acceptable in the real working environment. You will be allocated a work station that is set up similar to an average domestic bathroom where (to your own design) you produce work that would allow you to work in the real working environment.
How You’ll Learn
Like most tiling centres in the UK we do have standard perfect bays although ours are a lot bigger! We use these to start you off with and take you through your first steps in learning to tile (easing you in gently). Moving on through the weeks, we also have splash backs, shower cubicles, columns, steps and arches however the real tests are undertaken in our fully fitted bathroom and kitchen areas which allow you to deal with reality as you become more confident and progress through the weeks. We have devised this Six week tiling course schedule to reflect reality in the best way possible, we will attempt to cover every eventuality to the best of our ability to ensure that once you start working as a Tiler, nothing comes as too much of a surprise. With the knowledge and skills achieved by attending Able Skills tiling courses, we believe that you will start out as a competent Tiler and become better skilled as years progress and you spend time on the jobs you undertake. All of our Tiling courses are entirely hands on with excellent support and tuition provided throughout the time spent with us.
Courses Open To You After
If you want to learn that bit more and consider working towards NVQ then maybe our NVQ Level 2 Tiling Course or even the Level 3 Tiling Course is an option for you. We will take in to account the time already completed on this course and adjust the price accordingly.
By the time you finish this City & Guilds tiling course you will have the ability to look at any potential job, understand the requirements of the work and prepare quotes for customers knowing that you can undertake the work competently and to the customers satisfaction.
The emphasis for us is on meeting and exceeding our customers' expectations and we believe that we consistently achieve this.
Both Max and Terry are both vocationally qualified to level 3 and are also qualified NVQ assessors and should you choose to progress down this route, they can assess you in the workplace to both levels 2 and 3.
This entire Six week course can be completed in Six consecutive weeks, broken down in to Six separate training weeks or some of the programme can also be completed at weekends. This course is an ideal introduction to the industry and will certainly set you on your way to perfecting your tiling skills.
This is a hands-on, practical tiling course and you will be involved at every stage and will be participating throughout. It is therefore recommended you bring suitable clothing and for your own safety, steel capped footwear is essential.
Duration & Cost
This is a Six week course and the cost is £2295.00 including vat. A deposit of £500.00 will secure a booking with the balance payable in Six instalments of £299.16
If you opt for weekends, the course can be completed using 14 weekends (scheduled on a 2 weekend on and 2 weekend off basis). Again, a £500 deposit secures a booking and the balance is then paid in 7 instalments of £256.42, payable on the first Saturday of each 2 weekend block.