This short 5 day intensive course is ideal for those of you who are looking to gain some basic introductory plastering skills. It is ideal for individuals who want to gain an insight into plastering, maybe with a view to progressing further and achieving qualifications. Those who complete the course will be provided with an Able Skills certificate, assured by City & Guilds
What You’ll Learn
This 5 day plastering course has been recognised by City & Guilds as a comprehensive introduction to plastering so upon successful completion of this course you will receive an Able Skills certificate assured by City & Guilds to confirm the skills that you will have learned.
During this 5 day plastering course you will learn:
- Health & Safety and PPE
- To cut and fix plaster board to walls and ceilings
- To tape standard and internal joints
- To cut and fix angle beads around windows and reveals
- To prepare surfaces before plastering using bonding plaster and finishing plaster, ensuring a flat finished surface ready for decorating
- To mix plastering materials
- To skim walls
- To skim ceilings
- To apply PVA adhesive Unibond to existing surfaces.
How You’ll Learn
The principles of plastering will be taught in a hands-on fashion. The course is entirely work-shop based under the guidance of our plastering instructors who will ensure that you finish your training with the confidence to tackle your required plastering jobs.
- Cut and fix plasterboard to ceilings and walls
- Skim ceiling using the six stages dry, wet, wet, dry
- Complete any boarding left from day 1
- Cut and fix beads to pier, then square off reveals and rule off face with bonding plaster
- Prepare 2 walls to apply skimming
- Prepare pier before skimming to a finish.
- Skim back studded wall and 2 remaining reveals
- Run through render materials from screeds using dots, then apply scratch coat before filling out to screeds using feather edge to rule off creating a flush surface to the preformed screeds
- PVA ceilings and re skim
- PVA and re skim walls.
- Rub render to a plain face finish complete all works.
- Discuss works carried out during week one.
Courses Open To You After
Able Skills offers a variety of qualification plastering courses so if you decide that you would like to receive additional training to cover more areas of internal and external plastering you have a choice of a City & Guilds Accredited Plastering Course, a NVQ Level 2 Plastering Course or even a City & Guilds level 2 Diploma qualification.
All tools and materials will be supplied for you during the course and if after having spent a week with us plastering on this course you decide to upgrade to achieve one of the above listed recognised plastering qualifications, we will adjust your training time and fees to accommodate for the 5 day plastering course you have completed.
This Assured Introductory Plastering course is also available at weekends. 2 consecutive weekends will be allocated to complete the course. The content differs slightly as the area that you will be working in is already boarded out for you to compensate for the day that is lost.
This course can be quite a messy course so please bring suitable clothing and for your own safety, steel capped footwear is essential.
All of our courses take place at our dedicated training centre in Dartford, Kent. The centre is easily accessible by road, being just 10 minutes from junction 1a on the M25. We are only a short walk from Dartford train station which is served by frequent trains taking 35 minutes from central London. For anyone travelling from further away, we have our own accommodation available at only £25 per night.
We are open 7 days a week (08.30 – 16.30) for visitors so if you would like to find out more about this course or about Able Skills, please feel free to pop in, no appointment necessary.
Duration & Cost
The cost for this certificated Introduction to Plastering course is £445.00 including VAT. A £150.00 deposit will secure a booking and the balance can be paid on the start date.
Please select the course(s) you are interested in: