This is a fantastic course which reflects what Carpenters really need to do once working on site. We have combined a C&G Carpentry qualification with NVQ reality training where larger projects are undertaken and completed giving you a real insight into the kind of work you can expect to be undertaking. NVQ registration will produce the right CSCS card (once you sit a CSCS test) to gain you access to any site as a Carpenter. Weekend training is also available to complete this course.
What You’ll Learn
This course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to access the Carpentry industry and give you the opportunity to work towards achieving NVQ level 2. Once you have completed your 8 weeks of intensive, hands on carpentry training, you will then be industry ready which is where you need to be to achieve the Carpentry NVQ.
Throughout the entire 8 weeks, you will be trained and assessed to achieve a C&G qualification as well as receive training which reflects ‘reality’ and also provides you with a comprehensive understanding of what you will need to do to eventually achieve the NVQ level 2.
You will be trained and assessed across the following areas:
- Constructing studwork with opening
- Constructing and installing doorlining
- Hanging a door
- Fitting floor joists and installing floor coverings
- Installing and bracing trussed rafters
- Setting out and cutting a pair of common rafters
- Health and Safety in construction
- Fixing architraves and skirtings
- Constructing and fixing hatch linings
- Fitting locks and latches
The training detailed above will ensure that once you are undertaking carpentry work, you will be able to meet the requirements of NVQ assessments as follows:
- QCF 641 - Conforming to General Health, Safety and Welfare in the Workplace
- QCF 642 - Conforming to Productive Working Practices in the Workplace
- QCF 643 - Moving, Handling and Storing Resources in the Workplace
Supported by THREE optional units from:
- QCF 09Av2 - Installing First Fixing Components in the Workplace
- QCF10 Av2 - Installing Second Fixing Components in the Workplace
- QCF 11v2 - Erecting Structural Carcassing Components in the Workplace
- QCF 12v2 - Maintaining Non-structural Carpentry Work in the Workplace
- QCF 628 - Setting Up and Using Transportable Cutting and Shaping Machines in the Workplace
How You’ll Learn
This is a fantastic access to work experience as it prepares and qualifies you for the Carpentry industry. As well as practical training and assessment, we will also ensure you have a full understanding of NVQ portfolio building and evidence gathering.
Once you have completed the 8 weeks, we have no doubt that your skill level will enable you to find work within the Carpentry industry and immediately start to gather the evidence which will award you your NVQ.
Our training has been developed to help you fully understand how to gather work based evidence, how to enlist the help of an onsite recorder, how to record photographic evidence and so on.
The whole point of this 8 week carpentry course is to provide you with an underpinning City & Guilds certificate and a very in depth understanding of what is required to gain an NVQ. This combination of training gives you a great opportunity to secure work and achieve additional qualifications.
Courses Open To You After
The next step for you is to be assessed in the work-place to have your progress monitored and recorded in order to be certificated for the NVQ level 2.
NVQs are ‘Declarations of Competence’ and as such, cannot be achieved in a simulated environment like a training centre – all we can do here is prepare you for the process and we do this very well.
At the end of the course, Able Skills will register you with CITB (NOCN) to show that you are working towards achieving NVQ level 2 in Carpentry and we will provide you with a start-up portfolio which will include all of the evidence and assessment sheets ready for you to use as and when you gather your work based evidence.
By registering you for NVQ, you can also gain access to a CSCS Experienced Worker or Trainee card (if you arrange independently to sit a CSCS test) – this will further enhance your access to work.
Site visits will be charged separately - please call for details
Duration & Cost
This is an 8 week course and the cost is £2995.00 including vat. A deposit of £500.00 will secure a booking with the balance payable over the period of the training.