This level 3 qualification is a technical vocational qualification which focuses on the development of the underlying principles and practical skills required in the Carpentry sector. It is designed to deliver a high level of occupational skills and provide a sound platform from which to progress. This course is only suited to those who hold underpinning qualifications or those who can prove a minimum of 2 years’ experience.
What You’ll Learn
This level 3 carpentry qualification is relatively new for City and Guilds and is aimed at those individuals who work or want to work as a Site Carpenter in the construction sector. At this level, you will learn advanced skills in site carpentry. The qualification has been devised to provide learners with a fantastic understanding of all aspects of carpentry; a very in depth course to have you industry ready and competent across a range of skills but not ideally suited to those without any carpentry knowledge/background.
You will learn a variety of Carpentry skills; the full qualification consists of the following units:
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
- Carry out first fix flooring and roofing:
- Know how to construct roofing structures
- Know how to fix verge and eave components
- Know how to lay floor joists
- Know how to fit and fix joist coverings
- Carry out second fixing operations:
- Know how to install doors and ironmongery
- Know how to fix mouldings
- Know how to install service encasements and cladding
- Know how to install kitchen units, worktops and fitments
- Principles of organising, planning and pricing construction work:
- Understand different types of drawn information in construction
- Understand energy efficiency and sustainable materials for construction
- Understand how to estimate quantities and price work for construction
- Understand how to plan work activities for construction
- Understand how to communicate effectively in the workplace
- Carry out first fix roofing and stairs:
- Understand how to construct a traditional cut roof
- Understand how to fix a flight of stairs with a quarter turn
- Carry out second fixing double doors and mouldings:
- Understand how to install double doors and ironmongery
- Understand how to install curved and raking mouldings
- Set up and use fixed and transportable machinery:
- Understand how to inspect and maintain fixed and transportable machinery
- Understand how to use fixed and transportable machinery efficiently and safely
This is a very in depth course and the knowledge and skills that you will gain from this time at Able Skills will put you in a fantastic position when it comes to sourcing carpentry work/employment.
How You’ll Learn
You will be trained over an 10 week period (50 days) and the in-centre training will be purely practical.
This course will require a fair bit of home study commitment from you as there are also theory based assessments required in order to complete this course and you will be provided with resources ahead of attending for the practical, to help you undertake revision in order to complete these assessments. This will include a C&G reference book, designed specifically to work with this qualification and also access to information on SmartScreen – a C&G online learning resource.
The qualification is broken down in to specific units and the assessments vary according to the unit you are undertaking, however you can expect to have practical assessments, online exams and assignments across the units that you need to achieve.
Courses Open To You After
Once you have achieved this qualification and you are working within the industry, the next step for you would be to work towards achieving NVQ either at level 2 or level 3; this will require you to be assessed in the work place. Once you are ready to sign up to the NVQ process, you will be provided with a portfolio to work from and guidance and support from your NVQ Assessor. This is a separate process and therefore, attracts additional fees.
This is a very in depth qualification to achieve and additional home learning on your part will be required. We will cover all of the practical training and assessments here and as much theory as the time allows. You will have a practical task completion log book in which to record everything that you undertake whilst you are on the course. This will be monitored by the Assessor throughout the course and used as evidence of achievement. It is imperative that all aspects of this qualification are completed in order to generate full certification. As a reminder, this course is only suitable for those with underpinning carpentry related qualifications or who can prove 2 years carpentry experience.
All of our courses take place at our dedicated training centre in Dartford, Kent. The centre is easily accessible by road, being just 10 minutes from junction 1a on the M25. We are only a short walk from Dartford train station which is served by frequent trains taking 35 minutes from central London. For anyone travelling from further away, we have our own accommodation available at only £20 per night.
We are open 7 days a week (08.30 – 16.30) for visitors so if you would like to find out more about this course or about Able Skills, please feel free to pop in, no appointment necessary.
Duration & Cost
This is a full time 10 week course.
A £500 deposit will secure a booking and the balance can be paid in 10 instalments of £349.50
Total cost is £3995.00 including VAT.
Please select the course(s) you are interested in: