City and Guilds 2391-52 combines all of the elements of Initial Verification and Periodic Inspection and Testing.
This City & Guilds qualification is aimed at experienced electricians who require some update of training. This is an advanced qualification, and this course is entirely theory based until you undertake a practical assessment which is a mandatory part of this award. It is expected that suitable candidates have a good knowledge and understanding of electrical science and principles and experience of electrical installation work. We do not recommend that you undertake this course unless you already know the fundamentals of inspection and testing.
Although there are no formal pre-requisites, we advise that you have a good understanding of the latest IET BS7671 Wiring Regulations and have passed the City & Guilds 2382-18 (18th Edition) course and have a minimum of 6 months testing experience.
What You’ll Learn
This is a theory-based course to prepare you for the online exam and areas to be covered are:
- Safe isolation of electrical circuits and installations
- Requirements for initial verification of electrical installations
- Requirements for completing the inspection of electrical installations prior to their being placed into service
- Requirements for the safe testing and commissioning of electrical installations
- Requirements for testing before circuits are energised
- Requirements for testing energised installations
- Requirements for the completion of electrical installation certificates and associated documentation
- Safety of systems and equipment prior to completion of inspection and testing & commissioning
- Inspection of electrical installations prior to them being placed into service
- Commissioning electrotechnical systems and equipment
- Requirements for inspecting, testing and recording the condition of electrical installations
- Requirements for completing the periodic inspection of electrical installations
- The differences between periodic inspections and initial verifications
- Requirements for the safe testing of electrical installations which have been placed in service
- Understand and interpret test results
- Requirements for the completion of electrical installation condition reports and associated documentation
- How to confirm safety of system and equipment prior to completion of inspection, testing and commissioning
- How to carry out inspection of electrical installations prior to them being placed into service
- How to test electrical installations prior to them being placed into service
- How to produce a condition report with recording observations and classifications
C&G 2391-52 combined course is suited to those of you with current practical experience of inspection and testing of low voltage electrical installations and who require becoming certified. The course will cover all of the aspects listed above.
How You’ll Learn
The instructor will go through everything that you will be expected to know about Inspection and Testing on both new and existing installations. They will make reference to Guidance Note 3 and provide hand-outs and a learner pack, assisted by a power-point presentation. They will use examples of the kinds of questions that you should expect to come across and will work through the answers to each until the information becomes second nature to you.
The tuition for this course is entirely theory based however the entire qualification is assessed as follows:
Candidates must successfully complete one online multiple-choice examination, comprising of 60 questions - the examination has a maximum duration of 120 minutes. This is an open book exam and permitted materials are:
- BS 7671
- IET On-site Guide
- IET Guidance Note 3
Candidates will also have to undertake a written assignment (80 minutes) comprising of 4 short-answer questions, again this is an open book assignment and permitted materials are:
- BS 7671
- IET On-site Guide
- IET Guidance Note 3
In addition, candidates will; also need to successfully complete a 2.5 hour practical assignment; comprising of a full Initial verification and a Periodic inspection (combined within the same assessment) of a three-phase electrical installation, including completion of all appropriate documentation.
Courses Open To You After
The next step for you could be the C&G 2396 level 4 Award in the Design and Verification of Electrical Installations.
Able Skills will deliver the theory aspect of this course over a 5-day period and the online exam will be undertaken on the afternoon of day 5. You will then be required to return for one day to undertake the practical task and the written assignment. Effectively this course can be completed in 6 days however, if you feel that you need to undertake some refresher training ahead of the practical task, you may wish to consider our 1 day practical Inspection & Testing courses first.
All of our courses take place at our dedicated training centre in Dartford, Kent. The centre is easily accessible by road, being just 10 minutes from junction 1a on the M25. We are only a short walk from Dartford train station which is served by frequent trains taking 35 minutes from central London. For anyone travelling from further away, we have our own accommodation available at only £20 per night.
We are open 7 days every week for visitors so if you would like to find out more about this course or about Able Skills, please feel free to pop in, no appointment necessary.
Duration & Cost
C&G 2391-52 is 6 days at a cost of £995.00 including VAT.
Please select the course(s) you are interested in: