City and Guilds 2391-52 combines all of the elements of Initial Verification and Periodic Inspection and Testing.
This City & Guilds qualification is aimed at practicing electricians who have not carried out inspection and testing since qualifying or who require some update of training. This qualification helps you to develop the knowledge and practical skills required to professionally install and carry out initial verification and periodic inspection and testing on electrical installations. It is expected that suitable candidates have a basic knowledge and understanding of electrical science and principles and experience of electrical installation work. This is an essential skill for any electrical installer.
What You’ll Learn
This is a theory based course to prepare you for both the online and written exam and areas to be covered are:
- Safe isolation of electrical circuits and installations
- Requirements for initial verification of electrical installations
- Requirements for completing the inspection of electrical installations prior to their being placed into service
- Requirements for the safe testing and commissioning of electrical installations
- Requirements for testing before circuits are energised
- Requirements for testing energised installations
- Requirements for the completion of electrical installation certificates and associated documentation
- Safety of systems and equipment prior to completion of inspection and testing & commissioning
- Inspection of electrical installations prior to them being placed into service
- Commissioning electrotechnical systems and equipment
- Requirements for inspecting, testing and recording the condition of electrical installations
- Requirements for completing the periodic inspection of electrical installations
- The differences between periodic inspections and initial verifications
- Requirements for the safe testing of electrical installations which have been placed in service
- Understand and interpret test results
- Requirements for the completion of electrical installation condition reports and associated documentation
- How to confirm safety of system and equipment prior to completion of inspection, testing and commissioning
- How to carry out inspection of electrical installations prior to them being placed into service
- How to test electrical installations prior to them being placed into service
- How to produce a condition report with recording observations and classifications
C&G 2391-52 combined course is suited to those of you with current practical experience of inspection and testing of low voltage electrical installations and who require to become certified. The course will cover all of the aspects listed above.
How You’ll Learn
The instructor will go through everything that you will be expected to know about Inspection and Testing on both new and existing installations. They will make reference to Guidance Note 3 and provide hand-outs and a learner pack, assisted by a Power-point presentation. They will use examples of the kinds of questions that you should expect to come across and will work through the answers to each until the information becomes second nature to you.
The tuition for this course is entirely theory based however the entire qualification is assessed as follows:
Candidates must successfully complete one online multiple-choice examination, comprising of 60 questions - the examination has a maximum duration of 120 minutes. This is an open book exam and permitted materials are:
- BS 7671
- IET On-site Guide
- IET Guidance Note 3
Candidates will also have to undertake a written assignment (80 minutes) comprising of 4 short-answer questions, again this is an open book assignment and permitted materials are:
- BS 7671
- IET On-site Guide
- IET Guidance Note 3
In addition, candidates will; also need to successfully complete a 2.5 hour practical assignment; comprising of a full Initial verification and a Periodic inspection (combined within the same assessment) of a three-phase electrical installation, including completion of all appropriate documentation.
Courses Open To You After
The next step for you could be the C&G 2396 level 4 Award in the Design and Verification of Electrical Installations.
Able Skills will deliver the theory aspect of this course over a 5 day period and the online exam will be undertaken on the afternoon of day 5. You will then be required to return for one day to undertake the practical task and the written assignment. Effectively this course can be completed in 6 days however, if you feel that you need to undertake some refresher training ahead of the practical task, you may wish to consider our 1 day practical Inspection & Testing course first.
The 2391 also has 2 other routes available:
- 2391-50 – Level 3 Award in Initial Verification
- 2391-51 – Level 3 Award in Periodic Inspection
If you only hold 2394 (or equivalent) then you may now wish to consider 2391-51
If you only hold 2395 (or equivalent) then you may now wish to consider 2391-50
These will still be completed within the timeframe detailed above and the cost will be the same.
If you do not have any experience of inspection and testing, you may want to consider undertaking C&G 2392 first – this course works excellently as a stepping stone to the level 3 C&G 2391
Duration & Cost
C&G 2391-52 is 6 days at a cost of £995.00 including VAT.
All of these options are available using weekend training – please call to enquire about your particular preference