Menu
For course advice & bookings call: 0808 100 3245

Construction of Hereford Enterprise Zone sparks apprentice hopes

Following the commencement of construction work at the Hereford Enterprise Zone, there could well be opportunities for apprentices across the plumbing, decorating and electrical sectors.

The work – which forms the first phase of a multi-million development investment at the 72-hectare site – will see construction groups including Beck Group and Leominster Construction build on the site known as Skylon East. The new zone is well situated to attract interest from businesses across the country and beyond, as it is located within an hour-and-a-half’s drive of international airports at Birmingham, Bristol and Cardiff.

Later on this year, a new regional centre for Western Power Distribution will begin development on a three-acre site next to Chapel Road. The energy-efficient building will feature a low carbon design and will offer office space and storage as well as engineering facilities and “significant apprenticeship opportunities for young people in the area,” The Business Desk reported.

The majority – 80 per cent – of the land in the Hereford Enterprise Zone is owned by Herefordshire Council, with the remaining 20 per cent owned by the Goodwin Trust.

Bill Jackson, chairman of the Enterprise Zone Board, told the publication: “Skylon Park is a world class business landscape and the arrival of these companies launch what will be a period of sustained investment and development here.

“We have already ploughed more than