Menu
For course advice & bookings call: 0808 100 3245

Fire Service Backed Gas Safety Week!

Fire Service Backed Gas Safety Week!

 

gas safety week Cumbria Fire & Rescue Service's Twitter Account

We've just had the annual Gas Safety Week and we're glad to see so many people taking a keen interest on the topic. As we all know there are many casualties surrounding unsafe gas appliances but yet there are still sadly still a number of people turning their noses at the topic. With that said, we're happy when we hear about how the fire service backed the campaign!

The Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service were seen supporting Gas Safety Week via their social media account on Twitter to help raise awareness of Gas Safety. The key point is to of course ensure all gas appliances are regularly checked by a registered Gas Safe Engineer to protect against gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here's what Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service's Station manager Mark Ducie had to say

“It is important that we support and raise further awareness during gas safety week to educate our communities on the importance of maintaining their gas appliances in their homes and also understand the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning if the gas appliance becomes faulty at any time.

This is why Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service is encouraging all households to purchase and install at least one carbon monoxide detector.

They are as little as £10 to £15 from DIY stores or supermarkets and really are proven life savers in relation to carbon monoxide; test weekly to ensure they are operating correctly. In 2015 the law changed and it is now compulsory for private rented land lords to install a carbon monoxide detector in their properties for their tenant’s safety if there is an open fire or wood burning stove.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning has seen a national 23 per cent increase in the last year and the signs and symptoms of the silent killer need to be known by all. The symptoms are very much like flu symptoms – dizziness, nausea, headaches, breathlessness however, clear up once outside. So if you suffer any symptoms like these there could be a good chance of carbon monoxide poisoning in the property and you need to seek medical attention plus have all gas appliances inspected as soon as possible"

Jonathan Samuel (managing director for Gas Safe Register) also had to say on the matter!

“It’s great to have the support of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service this Gas Safety Week.

“By working together we can reach more people and help to reduce the number of dangerous gas appliances that could be lurking in the homes of the UK’s 23 million gas consumers. We know from our own investigations data that one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe meaning far too many people are victims of preventable gas related incidents.”

If you follow us on Twitter and Facebook then you would have seen us backing Gas Safety week too! We train the Gas Engineers of tomorrow through our Gas Training Courses and we expect all students out there to engage with industry news with Gas Safety Week being a very important topic!