Menu
For course advice & bookings call: 0808 100 3245

Landlord risks lives by allowing unregistered gas fitter to install leaky boiler

A landlord has been taken to court after he authorised illegal gas work to be carried out at a property he owned, thereby putting the lives of his tenants at risk.

Dinyar Sarkari arranged the installation of a gas boiler at a property he owned in Radnor Road, Luton, after the tenants complained regarding the central heating system in the property.

However, he employed gas fitters who were not registered with Gas Safe Register to do the job, rendering it illegal.

Following the installation of the boiler, Sarkari’s tenants contacted the National Grid due to concerns over gas leakage from the new boiler. Registered gas technicians visited the property and turned off the gas supply, immediately letting the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) know of their findings.

Mr Sarkari was prosecuted by the HSE and pleaded guilty to three breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, and one breach of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He was given a two month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, alongside 150 hours of community work and fines of