Becoming Gas Safe Registered is important when it comes to working with gas. It is a legal requirement here in the UK. Attempting to carry out work without being registered will only lead you to more trouble than it's worth. Here at Able Skills we can help you prepare for registration through ACS Assessments. Which is the exam process needed in order to register.

Gas training courses

What happened?

A self-employed plumber has been sentenced after carrying out illegal and unsafe gas work. This is a strange story and it's surprising he wasn't found out sooner. The professional plumber had not done any real gas training since the 1970s! He attempted to carry out work back in 2018 when he incorrectly installed a new boiler in a domestic property in Stoke-on-Trent.

Not only did he carry out gas work without being registered with Gas Safe he had never been registered since he started trading as a plumber. He also issued an invalid gas safety certificate to the occupier using a false Gas Safe registration number.

Gas courses

The result? He pleaded guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and breaching section 33 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974. He received a one year custodial sentence suspended for 18 months, a four month curfew (7pm-6am), was ordered to carry out 20 rehabilitation activity days and pay costs of £1,000. Definitely not worth it. Becoming Gas Safe Registered is simple with the guidance of a respected training centre like Able Skills.

Want to take an ACS Assessment?

We offer a comprehensive ACS Assessment process for both initial assessments and reassessments. In preparation for registering for Gas Safe you will need a completed portfolio showing evidence of your work on the job as well as a successful ACS Assessment.

The assessment includes CCN1 / CPA1 which is the Core Gas Safety assessment from here you will take on different exams based on the appliances you have worked on, evident in your portfolio. Legally, you will only be able to work on appliances you have taken ACS exams for. Here's a list of the different additional tests you can take:

  1. CENWAT1: Central Heating Boilers & Water Heaters
  2. MET1: Meters
  3. CKR1: Domestic Cookers
  4. HTR1: Gas Fires & Wall Heaters
  5. CPA1: Combustion Performance Analysis

To contact us:

Contact us over the phone on 0808 100 3245 if you would like some more information about our range of Gas training courses. We are happy to answer any questions that you have and generally provide guidance on how the journey to becoming a Gas Engineer works. Alternatively, you can contact us via email on [email protected] or you are welcome to come and visit our office in person. We are open 7-days-a-week between the hours of 8:30 - 16:30!