If you don’t have a plumbing background but would still like to take tentative steps towards becoming a Gas Engineer without over committing, then this could be the ideal package. If you haven’t ever had the opportunity to work with copper tube, undertake soldering work or play around with steel pipe, here is your opportunity; these practical tasks are incorporated within this 7 week gas training programme to ensure that you have all of the required skills when approaching gas related work.
What You’ll Learn
You will learn the skills that are required for you to eventually be in a position to register with Gas Safe. This package of learning is devised to take you step by step through the various training in the essential skills required to become a safe and competent Gas Engineer.
This 7 week package of learning will include:
- Training on aspects of health and safety relevant within the gas industry, including asbestos awareness
- Training to work safely around electrical systems
- Training in the use of copper and low carbon steel so that your pipe skills are established at an acceptable standard.
- Training on heating controls, Airing cupboard and radiator installation practices
- Training in all areas of domestic gas safety
Examples of what will be taught across this 7 week training course are:
- Cutting and measuring copper tube accurately
- Pipe-work preparation for soldering
- Soldering techniques / Practicing soldering / soldering assessments
- X and Z dimension calculations
- Cutting assembling and soldering practice frames to specific dimensions
- How to assemble compression fittings / compression fitting assessments
- The use of different types of jointing pastes for compression jointing
- Cutting assembling and jointing compression fittings frames to specific dimensions
- Cutting and treading low carbon steel pipe
- Jointing steel pipe
- The use of different fittings on steel pipe
- All pipe-work is tested to 3 bar for 3 min
- Hot and cold water theory
- Heating Controls – theory
- Different types of heating systems
- Different types of heating controls and their functions
- Fixing a simulated combination boiler jig
- Fixing all necessary pipework
- Running pipework under floors
- Marking out and fixing radiators simulating ground and upper floors
- Water testing
- Positioning an indirect cylinder in an airing cupboard
- Connecting cold water supplies to a cylinder
- Hot water pipework from the cylinder
- Cold water distribution from a simulated loft area
- Tightness Testing
- Pipework requirements
- Pipe sizing
- Gas rates / Heat inputs
- Appliance installation and servicing
- Unsafe situations
There will be written exams and practical assessments throughout the 7 weeks. Upon successful completion of this course, you will be provided with a Bpec Foundation Portfolio and guidance for completion.
How You’ll Learn
This course will be taught using both workshop and classroom delivery.
Classroom sessions are delivered in conjunction with a comprehensive colour training manual, supported by power point presentation, visual aids and training rigs.
Practical sessions are undertaken in any one of our 3 comprehensively equipped workshops. All of our training bays contain a range of different gas appliances ensuring that you have the opportunity to work on boilers, cookers, heaters, water heaters and gas meters. We have a range of new and older appliances to reflect reality to ensure that all candidates gain an appreciation of as many gas appliances as possible.
All gas instructors employed by Able Skills are industry served Gas Engineers – they have a combined wealth of industry knowledge as well as years of experience teaching gas and related subjects.
Progress is monitored with regular practical and written assessments and all evidence is recorded and retained for any Governing body to view at any time; these strict control methods safeguard all candidates and assessors and ensure that accurate, quality Gas training is delivered.
Courses Open To You After
Following successful completion of your 7 weeks of Gas training, exams and assessments, you will be deemed competent to undertake supervised gas work.
The next step towards Gas Safe Registration will be to demonstrate your competence in the work place and you will need to work alongside a Gas Safe Registered Engineer who will act as your on-site recorder/verifier, helping you to build a portfolio to act as evidence and to prove your competence and safety working with Gas.
Able Skills can offer you a placement (please call for details) or you can source this yourself but whichever you choose, you will have Able Skills portfolio to complete and access to our Gas Instructors for guidance and support.
Those suited to undertaking this course are:
- Those of you who are brand new to the industry and
- Those of you who do not hold the relevant gas trade associated qualifications, even if you have been working within the Gas industry
Training to achieve the Bpec Foundation Certificate (Domestic Gas Safety) is essential to ensure knowledge of changes to legislation, British Standards, and industry best practice. If you come under the category of New Entrant, this is the correct and recognised route to take to get you started.
All of our courses take place at our dedicated training centre in Dartford, Kent. The centre is easily accessible by road, being just 10 minutes from junction 1a on the M25. We are only a short walk from Dartford train station which is served by frequent trains taking 35 minutes from central London. For anyone travelling from further away, we have our own accommodation available at only £20 per night.
We are open 7 days every week for visitors so if you would like to find out more about this course or about Able Skills, please feel free to pop in, no appointment necessary.
Duration & Cost
The cost for this 7 week New Entrant Gas Package 1 is £2795.00 including VAT.
Full time: A £500.00 deposit will secure a booking and the balance can be paid in 7 weekly instalments of £327.85
Part time (weekends): A £1000 deposit will secure a booking and the balance can be paid in 9 instalments of £199.44. Weekend training is structured on a 2 weekend on and 2 weekend off basis.
Please select the course(s) you are interested in: