For course advice & bookings call: 0808 100 3245

What Happens When Getting A Gas Safety Certificate?

gas training coursesBy law, Gas Safety Regulations 1998 state that Landlords are required to ensure all gas appliances, fittings and chimneys or flues in rental properties are safe enough for public occupation.

Proof of such checks are evident in what's called a Gas Safety Certificate. This is provided by someone who is a Gas Safe Registered Engineer and has undergone all relevant Gas Training Courses making them competent enough to carry out such checks.

Today we'll speak on more about what actually getting a Gas  Safety Certificate entails, including things such as what needs to be included on the certificate, as well as other bits of paperwork you should receive after having a gas check done.

When Should I Get A Gas Safety Certificate?

Gas Safety checks are required to be carried out on an annual basis and ideally, should be booked in around the 10th to 12th month since the last one.

It's worth noting that even if your tenants don't use gas, the rules state that as long as there is a gas supply, it has to be checked!

What Paperwork Is Involved?

Once the Gas Check has been carried out, the qualified Gas Engineer will record the results on what's called a Landlord Gas Safety Record Form (AKA a CP12 Certificate to those who have undergone Gas Training Courses). Expect to be given your own copy of the form which will show exactly which appliances have been tested including the results.

Please bear in mind that you also need to give a copy of the same form to your tenants as proof that all gas appliances have been tested. This must be provided before the tenancy start date should they be new to the property, or within 28 days of the check for existing tenants.

Another FAQ - What Is A Gas Safe Registered Engineer?

A Gas Safe Registered Engineer are those who have undergone Gas Training Courses and successfully completed their ACS Exams. Once this is done they can register themselves with the Gas Safe Register who ONLY list Gas Engineers who are fully competent and hold the required knowledge and skills to work on gas appliances.

If you ever find yourself in a position looking to hire a Gas Engineer, please remember to ask for their Gas Safe ID Card.

Tell Me More About The Gas Safety Record Form

gas training courses Able Skills Gas Training Courses are Bpec Accredited

It's essential that you keep this safe and know exactly where it is at all times. They can cost anywhere between £35 and go up to more than £150 depending on the amount of work involved. Here's the form's minimum requirements:

  • a description and location of each appliance or flue the engineer has checked
  • the engineer’s name, registration number and signature
  • the date on which the check was carried out
  • the address of the property being checked
  • the landlord’s (or their agent’s) name and address
  • any safety defect the engineer has found and any action needed or taken to fix it
  • confirmation of the results of the operational safety checks carried out on the appliances

If it's time for you to get your next Gas Safety Certificate, please make sure the Gas Engineer is Gas Safe Registered and has successfully completed their Gas Training Courses. If you want to find out more about which Gas Courses we're referring to, please click here for something you can quiz your engineer on!