Able Skills is offering the opportunity for you to undertake two weeks of Introductory and Advanced training in Plastering, Bricklaying, Painting & Decorating and Tiling – you can choose all 4 subjects (8 weeks) or cover them individually.
What You’ll Learn
You will undertake training for both the introductory and Advanced options of the following subjects
- Painting & Decorating
- Build a corner, a pillar, a pier and a cavity wall
- Learn how to do pointing for face work
- Learn how to put in a damp course
- Basic work for an extension using bricks, blocks, cavity lintels, DPC, brick tiles etc
- Garden and retaining walls with attached and detached piers.
- Oversailing using creasing tiles and brick on edge detail.
- Various pointing: diamond point, weather struck, flush and recessed.
- Arches – segmental and semi-circular
- Plinth walls in Stretcher, English and Flemish bonds
- Health & Safety and PPE
- To cut and fix plaster board to walls and ceilings
- To tape standard and internal joints
- To cut and fix angle beads around windows and reveals
- To prepare surfaces before plastering using bonding plaster and finishing plaster, ensuring a flat finished surface ready for decorating
- To mix plastering materials
- To skim walls
- To skim ceilings
- To apply PVA adhesive Unibond to existing surfaces.
- Cutting and setting beads
- Applying PVA adhesive Unibond to existing surfaces
- Skimming walls
- Skimming ceilings
- Plastering reveals – internal and external
- Bonding out
- Preparing your area
- Setting out
- Cutting and laying tiles and finishing (grouting and cleaning).
- Different adhesives and tiles available
- Explain all of the tools used to complete a tiling installation.
- You will learn floor and wall tiling including how to tile around windows and reveals, socketed areas and splash-backs.
- Prime areas to receive tiling
- Build speed and precision
- Patterns including diamond pattern to wall and floor areas
- Estimate tile quantities required for each individual job
- Use of washboys
- Use of laser lines/levels
- How to prepare a quote
Introductory Painting & Decorating
- Prepare areas before painting including repairing imperfections
- Apply water and oil based products using brushes and rollers
- You will learn how to cut around obstructions, openings and fittings
- You will also learn how to properly cut, paste and hang wallpaper.
- Aspects of working safely as well as explain and demonstrate the required tools of the trade
- Plenty of ‘painters tips’
Advanced Painting & Decorating
- Accessing for painting & decorating such as erecting a small tower scaffold and detailed explanation of ladder safety
- Detailed underpinning knowledge of Health and Safety: Working at heights regulations
- Preparation of a full room area for a patterned wallpaper scheme
- Cross lining: Hanging lining paper horizontally as a base layer for wallpaper
- Application of emulsion and oil based paints for a pattern papered room
- Paper hanging: Hanging 2 pattern papers to a full room area:- one with set pattern design, one with drop pattern design
In addition, we will also explain:
- Pastes and sizing
- New plaster substrates
- Dry lined substrates
- Surface defects: causes and cures
- Paper hanging defects: causes and cures
How You’ll Learn
The principles of all of the listed subjects will be taught in a hands-on fashion. The course is entirely work-shop based under the guidance of our Plastering, Bricklaying, Tiling and Painting & Decorating instructors who will ensure that you finish your training with the confidence to tackle your required jobs.
Courses Open To You After
Able Skills offers a variety of qualification courses in Plastering, Bricklaying, Tiling and Painting & Decorating so if you decide that you would like to receive additional training to cover more areas of a specific subject, we have lots of training course options available to you. Please see:
As these courses are entirely hands on, you can gain a great insight into what each core subject entails and at a later stage you could consider specialising in a particular area and achieving qualifications if you choose.
You will receive a C&G Assured certificate for the Introductory aspect of whichever subject you choose.
This course can be quite a messy course so please bring suitable clothing and for your own safety, steel capped footwear is essential.
If you would like to view the facilities at Able Skills, please feel free to visit us at any time. We are open 7 days every week and encourage visitors to the centre. You will not need an appointment, just turn up (08.30 – 16.30) and we will show you around.
All of our courses take place at our dedicated training centre in Dartford, Kent. The centre is easily accessible by road, being just 10 minutes from junction 1a on the M25. We are only a short walk from Dartford train station which is served by frequent trains taking 35 minutes from central London. For anyone travelling from further away, we have our own accommodation available at only £20 per night.
We are open 7 days a week (08.30 – 16.30) for visitors so if you would like to find out more about this course or about Able Skills, please feel free to pop in, no appointment necessary.
Duration & Cost
If you choose one subject, you will be here for 2 weeks. Two subjects will be 4 weeks. Three subjects will be 6 weeks and four subjects will be 8 weeks.
Any one course - £790.00 including vat. A £300 deposit will be required
Any two courses - £1580.00 including vat. A £500 deposit will be required
Any three courses - £2370.00 including vat. A £500 deposit will be required
Any four courses - £3160.00 including vat. A £500 deposit will be required
Any balance due can be spread over the period of the training.
Weekend training is also available for ALL of the above – please call for details.